Friday, October 9, 2009

Martha Lynn

Hello Daylily Friends,

On Sunday afternoon our good friends Claude and Martha Lynn Carpenter came over to the Greenhouse. Claude saw one of my red seedlings blooming in the Greenhouse this past spring, and he liked it so much that he didn't mind if it was named for his lovely wife, Martha Lynn. So, I had planned to introduce it this coming spring as MARTHA LYNN. I had second thoughts when it did not bloom outside the Greenhouse as well as I had hoped that it would. It was nice, indeed, it was very nice, but I'm not sure that it is up to the quality that it should be to carry Martha Lynn's name. So, I gave Claude five one-gallon buckets of MARTHA LYNN, and Claude will grow it outside, and of course I will do the same. After another season we will know if it will be introduced.

I would note that my good friend David Arthur was growing MARTHA LYNN in his garden, and the measurements on the picture of the flower that I am insterting, are measurements that David and I both made from his plant. Our measurements are that it is 27" tall, that it has 3-way branching, 24 buds, and a 6 inch flower. MARTHA LYNN initially bloomed outside, and was only in the Greenhouse this past spring. I am pleased that it was beautiful outside, and I am likewise pleased that it beautiful in the Greenhouse as well. I just want it to be "better" since the plan is for it to carry Martha Lynn's name. Well, Claude and I and Diana and Martha Lynn enjoyed ourselves in the Greenhouse looking at all of the green daylilies. I know what everything looks like except for the seedlings, and the seedlings are now growing very well. Perhaps next week I will show pictures of the seedlings.
What do you think of the color of MARTHA LYNN? I had initially thought that it was red, but it now seems to be a "coral-red." I like its eye, and its green throat. I might also note that it is a semi-evergreen leaning heavily toward dormancy. The parents are as follows: (Glory in Red x Fear Not).
Tomorrow morning Diana and I are going to Chattanooga to visit their Club and to see our good friend Lee Pickles.
Bill

4 comments:

  1. Bill,

    I think the color is outstanding. I would definitely grow it. It appears to have better color than the other reds with gold edges out there now. I have been a bit disappointed in TALLADEGA this year. It never looked as good as it did in Stamile's catalog.

    William

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,
    I absolutely love this color...so clear and bright....sure hope this one does make it to be an intro! We really enjoyed meeting you and Diana at the TVDS meeting today! Thanks for the photography lesson.
    Linda Hassler

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi William and Linda,
    Thanks for your encouragement about MARTHA LYNN. I am hopeful that it will do well for Claude over the winter and have Martha's approval when it blooms next summer. I want to see it at its best. Also, I am delighted that both of you have IRISH HALO and EMERALD LACE to grow in your gardens. Thanks for purchasing these green edged delights!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete