Thursday, November 5, 2009

That Nasty Pest: Rust

Good Morning Daylily Friends,

This moning I was late going to the Greenhouse because I was late getting out of bed. I stayed up too late last night watching the World Series.
Those Yankees just have to be admired for winning 27 World Series contests. Matsui surely did have a great evening with his six RBIs, which tied the great Yankee Second Baseman, Bobby Richardson. I remember Bobby as well as I remember the other Yankees from around 1960 like Whitey Ford, Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra. Well, back to the Greenhouse. This morning there were two blooms. I like late fall blooms and so I very often let the scapes grow. The first bloom that I noticed was Trimmer's SANTA'S LITTLE HELPER. Just a beautiful red with a beautiful red eye. I like reds. They just draw such attention. The second bloom was Kaskel's BEST EDGE. I also like BEST EDGE, and this past spring I crossed it with a number of conversions trying to achieve both dormancy and edge for a new generation of daylilies. Well, here are pictures from this morning.

RUST. What an awful beast. Rust and termites: Two pests that nobody wants, but everyone is likely to get. I regret seeing rust arrive, and the only good thing that I can say about it is that it only shows up in north Georgia in the fall. Fortunately, there are chemicals that control this egregious pest. The product that I like the most is Headline. I usually use about 1/2 of an ounce for four gallons. However, if the rust gets really out of control, then I step up the dosage to one (1) ounce for four gallons. HEADLINE works every time. Here is a picture which shows the product along with a measuring cup containing one ounce. I always use a "sticker" when I use Headline to make sure that the chemical adheres to the daylilies. Usually I just use diswashing detergent.

The second chemical that I like to use is Heritage. It is not a liquid; instead it is granular. I

usually apply about one (1) teaspoon per four gallons of water. I used Heritage quite a lot before I started using Headline. Heritage gets the job done. Here is a picture of the product.

The third most effective chemical is Banner Maxx. Like Headline it is a liquid. Some have said that it is good only on contact with Rust; however, it clearly states on the container that it is "systemic." Of course this means that it is absorbed into the daylily, and continues to kills Rust for some period of time. I use 1/2 of a teaspoon per gallon, or 2 teaspoons per four gallons. Then there are other chemicals that likewise kill Rust. One is Strike, and I use two teaspoons per four gallons. The good thing about all of the chemicals that I have shown is that they are all effective. They are all reliable. I simply like Headline the best. That great daylily gardener Pat Stamile says that these chemicals I have discussed should be rotated in their use. I agree that rotation is the best policy. I would only say that since I have rust sometimes, and usually only for a limited time, I usually just stick with Headline. It is reliable, and using it two to three times does not build up resistance to the chemical. The only caveat is this: Headline is EXPENSIVE!

In using the chemicals that I have shown for controlling Rust this should be remembered: Do not use around open water, and do not contaminate ground water. These chemicals will kill fish. Likewise, do not get any of the chemicals on your skin. They are helpful allies, but present some risks. Oh, do not get any of these chemicals on your hands, and, of course, keep your fingers out of your eyes.

I should also say that every introduction that I sell from my garden is dipped both in Headline and Pro-Tech before it is shipped. This is to make absolutely certain that no rust comes out of my garden to go anywhere else. The best additional cure for rust is a good winter with a number of cycles of freeze and thaw. In my humble opinion freeze and thaw cycles likewise kill rust.

How do you like my "bold" method of posting?

Well, back out to the daylily garden for more adventure.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment