Saturday, September 4, 2010

Thinking of Red Daylilies

Hello Daylily Friends,

I'm so delighted that my seedlings are growing well in the Greenhouse. One set of seedlings that I planted was a cross between David Kirchhoff's BARBARA MANDRELL, and Pat Stamile's TALLEDEGA. I am committed to growing better red daylilies that are beautiful, and with these newly emerging seedlings I hope that I am making progress. I planted 66 seeds, and as of today, September 4, 2010, 61 seeds have sprouted. According to my "Pencil and Hand Mathematics," this is a 90% rate of success. Surely the two red colors will match, and surely the edge from TALLEDEGA will pass to some of the new seedlings.

May I also say that I was privileged to grow David's BARBARA MANDRELL this past summer, and I would like to emphasize that I found this gorgeous red to be stunning in the intensity of its color. It is difficult to grow red daylilies. It is difficult to capture the color. It is difficult to have them be as you would want them to be. That is, like the yellows, but with an intense red color. BARBARA MANDRELL also had very fine plant habits. It stood up straight and hand many branches and many buds. I have previously talked about Pat's TALLEDEGA, but this time I will show its picture blooming in my garden. It is a fine red daylily, and its attraction is its glorious yellow edge. I am hoping that by combining these two daylilies that I will be able to travel a new path of red daylilies.

I can also report that I am about to replace the plastic covering on my Greenhouse. I have noticed over the past 12 to 14 months that the plastic sheets are not separated with air to the extent that they have been. These plastic sheets are now 5 years old. I am told by my friend Jeff at Atlas Greenhouse that over time the plastic sheets develop microscopic holes that can't be seen. This causes the pump to have to pump more air, but the sheets just do not perform as they did before they deteriorated. So, on Tuesday, Atlas is sending a crew to make the change. A new plastic covering will be installed. I'll be sure to let you know how this progresses.

Happy Labor Day week-end.

Bill

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bill, that looks like a great cross for reds..I look forward to seeing the results in a year or so. I have purchased quite a few seeds on the LA with Talladega as one of the parents, and from what I have read, T is capable of throwing some good kids.....
    I enjoy your blog-keep up the good work...
    Duncan
    New Zealand

    ReplyDelete