Thursday, November 4, 2010

BROOKE'S BRIGHT STAR

Hello Daylily Friends,

I am so grateful to my good friend, David Arthur, who helped me to get all of my seeds planted. David helped me plant all of the outside seeds, and then he helped me plant the seedlings into one gallon pots in the Greenhouse. Believe me when I say that this is hard work. As we moved toward the finish of the project in the Greenhouse, I had a problem with lifting too much weight. So, my dear wife Diana Rae came in and helped myself and David. We worked so fast, and finally it was finished. According to my count we have 1,028 new seedlings growing inside the Greenhouse, and about 1,300 new seedlings growing outside. Thanks David and Diana!

This past spring I had a few problems with bugs, thrips and spider mites in the Greenhouse. So, I sprayed quite a bit so as to control the problem: I found it difficult to eliminate the problem because the plants were so large. Also, I didn't want to spray my flowers because I wanted to keep making seeds. Well, it was all more of a problem that I wanted. So, this coming year I decided to take several pre-emptory steps. First, I applied the chemical "Marathon" to about 60% of my seedlings. Then, I also applied "Bayer Tree & Shrub" chemical. The Marathon is effective to control aphids, fungus gnats, and it will supress thrips. The Bayer product is supposed to also control aphids, fungus gnats and thrips. Nothing trumps spider mites. I will have to keep spraying to control these. I applied just the Bayer to the other 40% of the seedlings. I will not allow bugs in my Greenhouse this coming spring.

One of my new introductions for 2011 will be BROOKE'S BRIGHT STAR. Ms. Glenda Bell is one of our close friends, and Glenda has a co-worker whose daughter passed away. This has been a sad time for Glenda's friend. BROOKE'S BRIGHT STAR has the following parents: (Diana's Evening Gown x Judy Farquhar). The height of the daylily is 28 inches, it has 3-way branching, and about 20 buds. It is a dormant. The flowers are 7" in diameter. I knew that many would not believe this width of the flowers, so I took a picture with a ruler to prove my report. I am always so pleased to introduce a dormant. You may recall that DIANA'S EVENING GOWN is a 7" dormant daylily. Also, JUDY FARQUHAR is a 7 1/2" evergreen daylily. I have found it sometimes difficult to use JUDY FARQUHAR as a parent, but it surely worked with BROOKE'S BRIGHT STAR. I hope that you like this truly beautiful daylily.

Thanks for reading my blog.

Bill

3 comments:

  1. Bill,

    Wow! Brooke's Bright Star is a whopper! Nice size! One thing I have to say, (I think I read something in one of the journal's that Linda Agin reiterated)and that is daylily hybridizing is extremely hard work.
    There are so many aspects that you have to stay on top of. If it's not weeding, it's making sure everything is watered. If it's not digging 2-3 year old seedlings, it's making sure the new seedlings get lined out and given enough time to set their roots before the winter could heave them. It's all worth it when your efforts bring about some really neat introductions. It's nice when you have help like David Arthur and Diana. I helped dig seedling rejects for Steve Moldovan one year, and in return he gave his daylily Vatican City. It was all worth it. Not to mention the enjoyment of talking to Steve while digging. I learned a lot. Enjoying these new intros Bill! Keep um coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul,
    I'm really glad that you like BROOKE'S BRIGHT STAR. It is truly a very large yellow, but the size along with the dormancy is what I think makes it so special; it should grow practically anywhere, even in south Georgia and in Florida. HARD WORK. Nobody likes it but it is the rule of the road in the world of daylilies. Nothing good is produced simply by happenstance. Indeed I am fortunate to have the help of David and Diana. You might like to know that David and Camilla Arthur, husband and wife, are the Chairpersons of our Region 5 show that will take place from June 11-12, 2011. I will write more about this in an article that I will publish soon. Also, David is our new President here in the Cobb County Daylily Society.

    As for Steve Moldovan, I have enjoyed several of his introductions, and I'm reasonably sure that I have used at least one of his conversions.

    Thanks for your note!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything's looking good. What's the soil mix that you use when potting up daylilies?

    ReplyDelete