Sunday, March 27, 2011

Visiting the Birmingham Daylily Society

Hello Daylily Friends: This past week-end, on Sunday, March 20, 2011, Diana and I were privileged to travel to Birmingham, Alabama, to visit with the Birmingham Daylily Society. The travel time was only about 2 1/2 hours each direction, and mostly we traveled on Interstate Highways. When we arrived in Birmingham we went directly to the Botanical Gardens where the Society meets. As we entered the Gardens we saw a large glass building with beautiful flowers out front. I simply had to stop and get a picture. Diana said that we could get a picture later, but from past experience I've learned that the picture has to be taken when you can, and not later when you might. We then went to the front of the Classroom Building where the Society meets, but Diana and I had to take our own picture using my tripod. Aren't the tulips beautiful? Actually Diana and I visited with the Birmingham Club three years ago when I first had PASTOR LAURIE ANN MOELLER as my principal introduction. Several members reported that it grows very well, and I was delighted to hear the good news. PASTOR MOELLER has been such a beautiful daylily, and it shows up in places where I least expect to find it growing. For example, this past summer I saw it growing in three gardens during our AHS National Convention in Valdosta, Georgia. At each garden it looked superb! I anticipate that it probably will not win AHS's highest awards, but it is a consistent daylily that is always large and always beautiful. Well, it might win higher awards; in fact, this past season it won the AHS "Honorable Mention" award. I had wanted to take a picture of the Birmingham Club but I forgot to do this until after most of the members had departed. So, I took a picture of those who were there when I remembered to use my Canon camera. In the photograph you will see Jim Riddle, Jim Chappell and Jesse and Terah George. Well, I'll post more later. Got to run and check the Greenhouse. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment