Friday, August 10, 2012

Tet. Handsome Ross Carter

Hello Daylily Friends,

If you look back at my "Post" on March 15, 2011, you can read about some of my efforts in trying to convert HANDSOME ROSS CARTER.  I kept hoping that I had it converted, but I could never be sure.  Then, this morning, there was a bloom that looked more promising on one scape as compared to other blooms on nearby scapes.  The bloom that I was looking at had bigger sepals and bigger petals.  The other blooms had noticeable smaller petals and sepals.  I was surprised to note that the signature, small circular red halo, was not as noticeable on the bigger flower.  I must also add that Spalding has HANDSOME ROSS CARTER measured as being 14 inches in height.  However, all of my scapes are 26-27 inches tall with 4 and 5 way branching.  The flowers are 6 inches in circumference as registered.

I  picked the two blooms and brought them to the Barn for closer examination.  I immediately noticed that the base of the flower was much "thicker" on the bloom that I thought was a tetraploid. The other flower had a more narrow and smaller size.  I took a picture so everyone could see what I saw.  Clearly, the flower which has had an effective treatment with Colchicine is much larger in size.


So, I had a flower that was bigger than the other flowers, the base of the larger flower was much larger, but the real question has to do with the size of the pollen.  I took pollen from the larger  flower, and also took pollen from the smaller flower.  I will show the pollen from the smaller flower first.  As you can see from looking at the size of the pollen, it is about a size 8 on my measuring scale.  Now let's look at the pollen from the bigger flower which I am showing on the right side of this page.  As you look at its pollen you can see that it easily measures about a 13 on my scale.  Quite a difference in size.  Tetraploid pollen usually measures about a 13 or larger, whereas diploid pollen often measures about an 8 to 10, on my scale of measurement.  I feel reasonably confident that I have converted HANDSOME ROSS CARTER.

I took the tetraploid pollen from TET. HANDSOME ROSS CARTER, and started trying to set pods.  I have one orange seedling that has just begun to bloom, and I think that it is magnificent.  I'm showing a picture.  The cross is as follows:  [1-389 {Kennesaw Mountain Hayride x Tet. Orange Velvet} x Grace Seedling], and I now call it Seedling 2-479.  It is 27" tall with one proliferation, and a 6 1/2" flower.  Whenever a plant is converted the final question is whether its pollen can be used to make new seeds.  I'm sure hoping that TET. HANDSOME ROSS CARTER will set seeds, especially on Seedling 2-479.

Before I go I have to show you another daylily that I now call Seedling 11-84.  Here is the cross:  [(Wild Hair x Fantastic Fringe) x Dr. Stump], and here are the measurements: 29" tall, 4-way branching, 20 buds, 6" flower.  It is very fertile.  I have six fans.  If only I could grow this beauty with sufficient speed to put it out this fall.  But alas, it will be at least two years before it is available.  By then I will have a better picture.  The picture you are seeing was on a rebloom scape.  How do you like the extra long sepals with many teeth there as well?  I'm thinking of calling this beauty TOOTH FAIRY NIGHTMARE.

Got to get back to gardening!

Bill

8 comments:

  1. Good job Bill! I am very excited to see your progress with tet Handsome Ross Carter. Seedling 11-84 is very nice too. Keep up the good work.
    Josh Jaques

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh,

    Thanks so much for encouraging me to convert HANDSOME ROSS CARTER. As soon as I have two fans that I'm certain are converted, I will get one of the fans to you. I'm so pleased to see with my own eyes that HANDSOME ROSS CARTER is so tall when I thought that it was short. There is a real future for this converted daylily.

    Thanks also for your note.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill,


    Absolutely love Tooth Fairy Nightmare. WOW! What amazing teeth. I'll bet it turns out to be a fantastic breeder. Looks like Larry's Dr. Stump is turning out to be a nice parent! Enjoy your pictures as always and hope all is well with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul,

    Glad that you like TOOTH FAIRY NIGHTMARE. I'm going to try to grow it at a faster pace in 2013.

    Can send WILD HAIR and RED SAPPHIRE during the middle of September, or I can send them both now. Looking forward to your reply.

    I should also add that I have been blocked from the internet most of this weekend because my phone company was having trouble. Glad to be back on line.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill,


    Middle of September would probably be better. I lost a couple of daylilies to crown rot that were delivered in early summer. I think mid September would be great. Your Irish Halo bloomed for the first time for me this summer. Boy did I use the pollen. Set pods all over the garden. I do enjoy a good green edged daylily and Irish Halo has a nice green edge. Look forward to seeing what you are going to introduce for 2013. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bill

    I want to know more about 1-336. If its what I think it is, I believe I have had my eye on it for about 2 years waiting for you to introduce it. Please please please end my suffering and tell me when its coming out. I think its a must have and TOOTH FAIRY NIGHTMARE goes to prove it.
    Best
    Kim Langston

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim,

    I like 1-336, and it is indeed a good daylily with lots of teeth. However, I have become much more fixated on 1-300, which has better branching and is much taller. I plan to introduce 1-300 during 2014. Both 1-336 and 1-300 are from the same cross which is as follows: (Wild Hair x Fantastic Fringe). I probably will not introduce 1-336, but it has shown itself to be a wonderful parent.

    Missed seeing you this summer, and Diana and I surely hope that you will come and visit next summer. The flowers in 2013 should be really good.

    Thanks for your note and encuragement.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul, I am so glad to hear the "good news" about IRISH HALO. I have had several good reports about IRISH HALO from across the country this summer. Apparently it takes time to get established, and then it really performs. Hope that you produce a new, wonderful and better green edged daylily.

    And yes, Diana and I will send your plants around the middle of September.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete