Hello Daylily Friends,
Good news, good news, good
news. I've got PINK STRIPES converted. First, to fully explain what has happened, we have to look backwards to the diploid. I took a picture of the diploid flower, and then I took a picture of the pollen. The diploid is a good daylily, and a lot of people like it, as evidenced by sales interest in our garden. However, it has only about two branches, and is attractive, I think, because of its unusual shape: with its "stripes." I would like to think that these stripes will open up a new avenue of hybridizing in the tetraploid line.
Well, lets now look at the tetraploid. Wow, the appearance is so different. It is a bigger flower, the colors are deeper, and it calls for use to create something new. I do not have any of the other tetraploid daylilies that I could use as a pod parent with TET. PINK STRIPES, so I am left in a quandary as to how it might be used. We can see from looking at the pictures of the two flowers, that the tetraploid is much bigger with both its petals and sepals. Also, I can report that the scape is much more sturdy. All in all, this has been a good effort at a conversion. I didn't know what to do with the tetraploid pollen so I froze it in my garden refrigerator.
I might also mention the size of the diploid and tetraploid pollen. On my microscope the diploid pollen measures an 8 or 9, whereas the tetraploid pollen measures a 15. This is significant. The plant has totally changed, and will never again be a diploid.
Thanks to my friend Paul Lewis in Ohio who sent me PINK STRIPES to convert. I'll get a converted fan to you Paul after I've had a chance to multiply the fans.
More news soon!