Saturday, October 26, 2013

The First Frost Has Arrived.

He Daylily Friends,

We have worked so hard to get seedlings moved from the Greenhouse and planted outside.  On Tuesday Diana helped me plant 400 seedlings, then on Thursday and Friday our friend David helped me plant another 800 seedlings.  All together, we've planted about 1,900 seedlings in the outside garden.  Then, after all of these seedlings were planted, we had near freezing temperatures last night.  This morning when I went to look at the condition of the plants, I could see that they took a real hit, but by this afternoon they looked like nothing had happened.  Daylilies are truly tough.  Despite the cold weather, these seedlings will be ok, and some will bloom during the summer of 2014.

I've also been continuing to work on the conversions that I wrote about in my last post.  I let the conversions sit for about 7 days after treatment, still without any water, and then I cut the materials away from the top of the daylily using an ordinary kitchen knife. I would point out that I wore thin plastic gloves when I did this.  I didn't want any of the Colchicine to get on my hands.  What I did was I just pushed the dried foliage material away, while leaving the area around the growing tip untouched.  I took a second picture to show what the area looked like after the cleaning with the kitchen knife.

Then, today, I took a picture to show how the daylily looks now, about 13 days after the dead material was removed.  The purpose in doing all of this is to help prevent any disease from forming that will ruin my conversion effort.  I have to keep a constant vigil to spot problems.  I would add that about a week after I removed the dead material around the growing tip, I applied water.  The area around the growing tip was dry when water was given.  The hardest part of the conversion process is to stop rot and keep the treated plant growing.

This morning, Saturday morning, Diana and I drove up to Cartersville, Georgia, to visit with the Northwest Georgia Daylily Society.  Our good friend, Lee Pickles, came to speak, and Lee's program was so interesting.  I was particularly interested in Lee's use of water.  He keeps his daylilies in water in his Greenhouse.  Lee is also a "believer" in using the Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub product that is important to keep thrips under control.  Lee is making really good progress in growing red seedlings, and he has some beauties.

Little Lily Rae was riding a tricycle at Church, and she obviously liked it very much.  Then, one of our friends in Sunday School had a beautiful red tricycle that wasn't being used, and so she gave it to us for Little Lily Rae.  Every time Lily Rae gets to ride her tricycle she is excited, as you can see from her picture.  It is such a joy to see her so happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment