Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Visting Albany, New York

Hello Daylily Friends,

This past week-end I went to visit the Hudson Adirondack Daylily Society in Albany, New York.  I left home at around 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, and flew to Detroit, Michigan.  I stayed several hours in Detroit, and then flew to Albany.  I was met at the airport by Bill Wurster, the Club Co-Chair, and Bill took me to the hotel where I spent the evening.  The ride from the airport to the hotel took only about 10 to 15 minutes, and when I arrived I was tired.  Bill let me know that on Sunday morning my good friend, Debi Chowdbury would meet me for breakfast, which she did.   We had a wonderful breakfast, and then drove to the Albany County Extension office.  It was a most pleasant ride, and the snow from the previous evening had mostly dissipated from the road.  The road was in good shape.  The Club had a wonderful lunch which I definitely enjoyed notwithstanding my big breakfast.  So many hot servings, many and multiple salads, and more desserts than I could count.  Then my friend Debi introduced me to the Club.

The Daylily Club had a joint meeting with the Hosta and Iris Clubs, and there were so many in attendance.  Ms. Cindi Jones, who is also a Club Co-Chair, worked so hard to have the meeting ready for all three clubs.  She even purchased fresh flowers for each table and furnished all the vases which were filled with fresh water.  There were multiple flowers in each vase, and I was so impressed I took a picture.  The Club also made arrangements for so many "door prizes."  I think most everyone received a door prize and I even received two gifts.  One was a sign that proclaimed that the food was good, and the other was a Iris vase from Macy's Department Store.  I really like both gifts and the actual presentation was made easy because the members of the Clubs were so friendly.

When the meeting was concluded I was asked by Bill and Cindi and her husband Lyndon, what I would like to do for the remainder of the afternoon.  I had been given a gift of a "pencil set" for our granddaughter, Lily Rae, and on the front of the pencil set there was a picture of the State Capitol building.  I could see from the picture that there was a statute of a person riding a horse in front of the building.  I asked who the person was that was riding the horse,and I was told that it was General Philip Sheridan.  Because of my interest in the history of the Civil War I asked to go and see the statute of Gen. Sheridan.  I am so glad that we took the journey.

General Sheridan was born in Albany, New York, and he attended West Point.  He had a number of important assignments early in his military career, but it was his heroism in the Civil War where he gained his historical recognition.  He was assigned to command the Army of the Shenandoah, and as a result of his leadership he made Virginia to be a "wasteland" and stopped the success that Lt. Gen. Jubal Early had established there for the Confederacy.

In the early days of the Civil War the Confederacy had the best cavalry, but as time passed the Union became just as good, and perhaps even better.  In any event General Sheridan eventually reached the rank of 4-star general.  It should be noted that General Sheridan was only 5'5" in height and he was of Irish heritage.  Near the end of the War he was present at Appromattox where General Lee ultimately surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia.

We had a wonderful supper together and soon I returned home.  Truly enjoyed the trip to be with the Daylily friends in Albany, New York.


I want to show a picture of my Seedling 7-890.  I have used TET. ASHEE DASHEE as a parent many times but Seedling 7-890 is the first seedling I've seen that has shown real promise.  I made the cross using KENNESAW CROSSFIRE as the pod parent, but I only saw the last bloom, last summer on July 4.  I'm pleased to see that 7-890 made it through the winter just fine, and in a few weeks I will give the plant plenty of fertilizer.  I will watch it even more carefully.  It is most encouraging when a conversion does what you want it to do.

More news soon.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment