Good Evening Daylily Friends,
I have had an interesting day. It begins with "immediate history" on my 50-Gallon Chemical Spray Tank. I bought this tank back in 2001 when rust first appeared on daylilies. The appearance of the rust caused me to be so despondent, and I just had to find a way to fight this new villan. So, I did what everybody else did, I took Pat Stamile's advice and cut all of my daylilies down to the ground. Pat said that the next thing to do was to spray chemicals to kill the rust. I wanted a 100-Gallon tank, but after some disturbance in the Waldrop home between husband and wife, I settled on the 50-Gallon tank. As it has turned out, the 50-Gallon tank is the better choice.
Well I ordered my 50-Gallon "Scorpion" tank from Agsouth in Union City, Tennessee. It came in a large box and I had to put it together screw by screw by screw. So, back in 2001 I knew the mechanics of the system. Then, a few days ago I put 30 gallons of chemical into my tank and tried to spray but I could not get any pressure on the 50-Gallon tank. I tried everything. More power to the battery, I moved all of the buttons and handles, I cleaned the valves, I did everything that I could think of. Then, at the suggestion of my beautiful Wife Diana Rae, I called Agsouth for assistance. Well, Agsouth had been sold to a new company. Well the new company had a gentleman that I could speak with on the phone who could give "technical assistance." The name of this technical person was Roger.
Roger took me through several steps, but none of Roger's suggestions solved my problem. Then Roger suggested that a "By-Pass Valve Assembly" be installed in my "Diaphragm Pump." Well, you might ask, what is a (1) By-Pass Valve Assembly, and (2) what is a Diaphragm Pump? These were certainly my questions. Of course the answer was easy as I followed Roger's suggestion. I am now showing a By-Pass Valve Assembly and also a Diaphragm Pump. The Assembly package arrived quickly following a UPS ground shipment, and I followed the directions to put this Assembly package into the Diaphragm Pump. I only had to remove six screws and the whole process was very easy. I then connected the battery and presto: everything worked! The 50-Gallon tank began to register 30 + pounds of pressure and I could spray anything. I certainly felt better after being able, with Roger's help, to repair my system. Anyone who grows daylilies and is serious about the endeavor, will have to have more knowledge than simply putting pollen on a pistol and waiting for seed.
Well I thought I might show another of my introductions for the Spring of 2010, so I am showing a picture of Seedling 7-92. It is a cross between the following parents: [[(Ed Brown x Tet. Dena Marie) x Tet. Magic Lace] x Grace 578 Seedling]. You might note that there are two conversions among the parents: Tet. Dena Marie and Tet. Magic Lace. Both of these conversions are dormants, although 7-92 is a semi-evergreen. I asked my daughter Kelley Rae for a name for Seedling 7-92, and her instantaneous suggestion was LITTLE BO PINK. I immediately liked the name. It fits the flower! It is 24" tall, it has 3-way branching, 25 buds, and 5" flowers. What a little jewel. There are pinks, and then there is LITTLE BO PINK. I have certainly enjoyed growing LITTLE BO PINK as I am always called to come and see its beautiful blooms.
Well that is the dayliliy news for today from the Kennesaw Mountain Daylily Gardens.