Friday, December 4, 2009

(Tet.?) Rosabelle Van Valkenburgh

Good Morning Daylily Friends,

I want to give an "update" on my efforts to convert ROSABELLE VAN VALKENBURGH. First, however, I would like to show you a picture of this daylily. It was hybridized by Elizabeth Salter, and it is a small daylily. It is about 20" tall, and it has about 3 1/2" flowers. It is reported by Elizabeth to be a semi-evergreen, but I do not know what it will do in our climate here in north Georgia. As I may have said a few posts back, my friend David Arthur wanted me to convert ROSABELLE. So, I have done my very best in trying to get this accomplished. What I like about ROSABELLE is the unusual eye and the soft, ivory edges on the sepals. The green throat helps this purple daylily to have a very beautiful appearance.

Well, when I tried to convert ROSABELLE I used one plant that was "established" in its soil. When I say established, I mean that it was growing well. I split another plant such that I had four (4) of ROSABELLE. Of course, these additional four plants were "not established." I just wanted to see if I could convert a plant without it being established in its soil. As it turns out, I have lost three of these, but I still have one that is trying to survive. More about this plant later. The established ROSABELLE has apparently converted because it is very stiff, and there are small growths from the center of the plant that are now throwing roots. In fact, it is this growth and the new roots that I wanted everyone to see. It has been my experience that when this happens one of the new "growths" will be converted. So, am I showing two pictures that emphasize the new growths and the emerging roots.

I am also now showing a picture of ROSABELLE as she appears growing out of her 2-gallon pot. The Coltricine really did a truck on the plant causing so much growth. As you can see the plant is vigorous, and there is no doubt but that it will survive. What I will do when this plant begins to bloom in the spring is to check the pollen from each bloom. When I isolate the bloom that will be a tetraploid, I will then take a piece of string, and put it around the tetraploid plant. I will not try to separate the tetraploid scape until I am sure that the plant is well established. There would be no point to any disturbance of the plant in the foreseeable future.

You might ask what I would expect to do with ROSABELLE, Well, I have many plans, and I will tell you about a few. I am growing a gorgeous new flower, and the cross is as follows: [(Heartbeat of Heaven x Jennifer Trimmer) x Tet. Star Child]. I am showing a picture of this new flower, which in my garden is called Seedling 9-90. I would note that (Heartbeat of Heaven x Jennifer Trimmer) was a "dormant." Of course, Tet. Star Child is an evergreen. This combination of traits should help Seedling 9-90 to be a superior seedling. I will cross TET. ROSABELLE VAN VALKENBURGH back to Seedling 9-90. You can imagine how the seedling will appear. I have also crossed Seedling 9-90 with LYDIA'S REGAL ROBE, and these new seedlings will bloom this coming spring. I may use TET. ROSABELLE on these new seedlings where I have used LYDIA as a parent. This is what makes daylily gardening so exciting. Seeing the newest of the new, and to just keep making better and better daylilies.

This week-end Diana and I are riding with our friends David and Camilla to attend Lee Pickles' event in Chattanooga, Tennessee. If I can, I will get a group picture and post it here when I return. If I can't get a group picture, then I will just report on events. So, will let you know what happens, with or without a picture, in just a few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment