Hello Daylily Friends,
I have been busy in the yard cleaning the daylily beds while we have had this wonderful weather. Things are beginning to look very well, and I'm paying close attention to my Carpenter Seedling. Today is day 58 following the Colchicine treatment that was concluded on December 27, 2010. I'm showing plant number 3, and it is starting to look good. Looking like it will indeed survive. I'm so pleased that I cut it in the center, and the results of the cutting are very impressive. You can easily see that the center growth is pushing through. I'm likewise showing plant number 4. It was somewhat smaller than plant 3, but on plant 4 you can also see the center growth. In fact, you can even see at least one new fan growing at the edge of where the Colchicine treatment was concentrated. I had hoped to just get one new seedling from the fans that I treated, and right now I have fans 3 and 4 that I have shown, and fans 1, 2, and 5 that are also doing very well.
Today I also noticed that a fan has emerged on Seedling 1-385. It kept splitting, and indeed was forming many new fans. I started with with two fans, but now I have eleven (11) fans. Then, as I was looking at the fans this afternoon, I noticed that one of the fans is a scape. I am so pleased. This means that within about 6 or 7 weeks I will see a bloom. I'm showing a picture of where the fan is growing; it is just above the "S" on the word Seedling in the picture. I'm also showing a picture of the flower from 1-385 just to refresh anyone's recollection of its appearance. It is nice to finally see a new scape on one of my own, new seedlings.
Lots of events coming this week-end. Will report more soon.