Monday, February 28, 2011

Joint Daylily Show; Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hello Daylily Friends,

This past Saturday morning Diana and I and David and Camilla drove to the home of Mark and Patty Franklin in Alpharetta, Georgia. We met at the Franklin home with a large number of representatives of the Greater Atlanta Daylily Society and the Cobb County Daylily Society. The purpose of our meeting was to plan for our Joint Daylily Show that will take place on Saturday, June 18, 2011, at the Galleria Mall. Our meeting was led by Claude Carpenter who is our Show Chairperson. I'm also pleased to report that Diana and I have agreed to be the Show Chairpersons for the show that will take place next year. When we arrived at Mark and Patty's home there was a "b-i-g c-r-o-w-d." It takes many members working close together to make our show a success. I have said before, and I humbly say again, our Joint Daylily Show is a "happening" in Region 5. Fifteen (15) Judges are required to evaluate over 500 daylilies. I'm showing pictures of our daylily friends as they prepared to begin their meeting, and I'm showing a picture as the meeting began.

I like seeing everyone on Friday evening at the Galleria Mall where we work together to fill over 500 wine bottles that we use as containers for our Daylily scapes. We always look forward to the excitement of the next day, Saturday, when so much daylily fun will happen. Saturday morning begins early with members out in their gardens selecting flowers, then bringing these to the Mall for grooming and entering with the Registrars. The daylilies are then properly sorted on many tables where they will be judged. Every person who enters a flower in the show has grown the daylily in their yard, they have cared for it, they have cut it "with love," and brought it to the show for admiration and evaluation. I'm showing our good friend Luke Vandevate as he fills the wine bottles with water, and I'm also showing Virgil Herndon as he places daylilies on the presentation tables.

Well the siren is going off warning of a potential tornado. So, I will post this and write more later.
Bill


No comments:

Post a Comment