Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Jury Duty.

Hello Daylily Friends,

On Wednesday evening I received a telephone call that required me to be in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia for jury duty.  So, on Thursday morning at 8:15 a.m., I reported as directed.  I had to wait until about 1:45 p.m. before I was called into the Courtroom for "individual examination."  The Judge asked me to explain why it would be difficult for me to serve as a juror.  I explained that I am a full time daylily hybridizer, and that now, right now, I making seeds in my Greenhouse.  That I have to make seeds now or an entire year of work will be lost.  This was why it would be difficult for me to give up 2 months for jury duty.  The Judge understood, and I was exempted from any further appearance.  Hybridizing daylilies is very, very important!

One of the daylilies that I am very proud of is my TET. PINK RUFFLED LOVE.  I gave information as to how I was able to achieve its conversion on my post back on April 24, 2010.  It was hybridized by Jessie Bomar, and is a very beautiful flower.  It has tremendous substance.  However, it is only about 18 inches tall.  So I am crossing it with two of Stamile's plants:  LACY ALL OVER and SNOW CRYSTAL.  I've shown LACY ALL OVER before, but SNOW CRYSTAL is new to my program.  It was given to me by my good friend, Larry Grace.  Larry said that SNOW CRYSTAL was a good parent.  Indeed, to my amazement, in the Greenhouse, it has 10-way branching.  When SNOW CRYSTAL was first sold Stamile said that it had 7-way branching.  It certainly has 7-way branching, but it is much more in a protected enviroment.  I know that some may "doubt" my report of 10-way branching, so I'm showing a picture. The reason that I'm using Stamile's two plants as pod parents is because they have considerable height and branching.  They should help me make TET. PINK RUFFLED LOVE into a taller, larger plant, with branching, at a "quick pace."  I must also say with pride that I'm setting pods on TET. PINK RUFFLED LOVE.  It is 100% converted.

Speaking of conversions, two years ago I went to the garden of my good friend Larry Grace.  I walked up and down Larry's rows.  I liked this and that, and most everything, but my eye kept coming back to Cinderella Sue.  Larry had it converted.  It was producing dormants with branching and its seedlings had substantial bud count.  As you might guess, I pleaded with Larry just to let me have a "small amount" of pollen.  Larry agreed.  Today I have a beautiful plant growing that was a cross between the following: (IRISH HALO x TET. CINDERELLA SUE).  The plant has a 7" flower.  I have three growing outside that have withstood the winter, and I have one growing in the Greenhouse.  I'm showing a picture.  Thanks Larry for the pollen from TET. CINDERELLA SUE.

This morning my good friend David Arthur came over, and we talked in the kitchen for a short time, then we went out to the Greenhouse.  David was immediately drawn to my Seedling 1-414.  Here is the cross:  [(Shirley Anne McCord x Marietta Heartbeat) x Home of the Free].  It is such a beautiful purple.  I don't know if its my best purple, but it is certainly one of the top three.  Last night I took a picture of its bulb, just to show the green edging in the bulb.  This moring, with David sitting in a chair, I took a picture of the flower.  The green throat is beautiful, and I'm sure that there is a lovely green ruffled edge around the petals.  I know the final measurements of the plant:  27" tall, 4-way branching, 6" flower, 26 buds, and it is a semi-evergreen.  I've just got to grow 1-414 with all due haste.

I wrote on this blog back on Christmas Eve, 2011, that our good friends Jeff and Karen Pansing from Ohio came by the house.  They were on their way to Florida for a Christmas vacation.  When Jeff and Karen came by the house they brought with them a tree called "Pink Sparkles."  It is a tree that Jeff created!  Jeff and Karen gave it to us to honor our beautiful granddaughter, Little Lily Rae.  Well, the tree bloomed yesterday, so I took a picture showing the blooms as well as Little Lily Rae, Kelley Rae, and of course Ms. Diana Rae.  Thanks again Jeff and Karen for this wonderful tree.

Well that's the news for today!

Bill

2 comments:

  1. Bill,

    I'm suprised the judge let you out of jury duty. You are right though, miss the next two months and the season is lost. The deer used to set me back a season by eating all my prized daylilies. Having better luck these days. Love all the blooms pictured. I grow Snow Crystal and love all of Stamile's whites or near whites. The whitest I grow is Alpine Ruffles. The easiest one to set on is Arctic Lace. I hear Arctic is supposed to be a good parent as is Fancy Lace. Like your seedling out of Tet. Cinderella Sue and the one out of Marietta Heartbeat. If you had to say what your best parent so far is....which daylily would you choose? Speaking of your daylilies specifically. I like the picture at the bottom of the three generations of Waldrop women. Great picture! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    My best parent has been SHIRLEY ANNE MCCORD. Just seems to always produce a better seedling. Indeed, I think that it has been better than MARIETTA HEARTBEAT.

    Pat Stamile produced so much for daylilies, and especially with whites. I also have FANCY LACE, but I only have one fan and it hasn't yet bloomed.

    You blue eyed beauty has been very nice. I have been setting pods on it using one of Petite's daylilies, but the name escapes me for the moment.

    I'm making seeds to the maximum extent that I can. I'm glad for the wisdom of the Judge. Thanks for your note.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete