Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Update on the Conversion of PINK STRIPES.

Hello Daylily Friends,

I want to give an update on the progress that I may/may not be making in trying to convert PINK STRIPES.  As many of you know, I tried once before and posted about this on my blog on January 11, 2012,  The result was failure.  Then, I tried again as I reported on November 30, 2012.  Next, I gave an update on January 3, 2013.  Now, I want to bring you completely up to date on this work.

I have my three plants numbered.  Plant #1 was the plant that had a new scape growing from beneath the crown.  I was reluctant to cut away this new scape, but I nevertheless, on good advice, cut away the growth.  Fortunately, I did not lose the plant.  I'm showing a picture of what Plant #1 looks like this morning.  The foliage is very stiff, so I continue to be hopeful that I may have a conversion.

Plant #2 also gives me hope for a conversion.  The center foliage has emerged, and it also is stiff.  Stiffness does not mean that there is a conversion, but without stiffness I've found that there will not be a conversion.  I had thought that I had a good chance with Plant #2, and right now I again say that I'm very hopeful.  I would also point out that there is a small root beginning to grow at the base of Plant #2.  This is also a good sign that we're on the road to a conversion.  I've also had new roots to grow on Plant #1, and those roots have already been covered with soil.

Plant #3.  Well, I'm not hopeful.  Indeed, I didn't take a very good picture of Plant #3, and I probably won't try again to have a better picture.  The center foliage is just too soft.  I've never seen such tender foliage produce a conversion.  I should again point out that I used a lesser amount of Colchicine, and I'm hopeful that my new method is successful on Plants #1 and #2, but with Plant #3 I'm not encouraged.  Hence the reason for treating 4 or 5 plants when we try to create a conversion.

Here in Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia, it is really raining.  Heavy, heavy rain.  This is so good.



  1. B,

    Wow, the conversion process will try your patience, won't it? Love the pictures and I sure hope plants #1 and #2 are successfull!
    A friend of mine in southern Ohio emailed a picture of one of my daylilies in bloom in his greenhouse. You folks who have greenhouses are lucky! It's 60 degrees up here in Ohio today.....very unusual for January. Suppose to get cold again though. Great posts.

  2. Hi Paul,

    I am not a patient person. I don't like to wait. However, waiting is an integral part of the process of conversion. I suppose that I've learned to be patient because there is no other choice.

    Having a Greenhouse is good. Mine is a decent size. I've thought about something bigger, but if I had something bigger then I would have to work twice as hard. Also, the use of chemicals becomes very important with a Greenhouse. If chemicals aren't used; there is going to be a big problem.

    In fact, since chemicals are being discussed on the Robin for the control of "spider mites," I think that my next blog will be about the use of such chemicals.

    Again, I regret your harsh weather and now a big thaw. But daylilies like cold weather.

    Thanks a lot for your post.


  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Hey Bill - I've been waiting for an update on your PINK STRIPES looks as if you have at least a partial, if not total conversion on the first 2 plants. I certainly hope you do. Number 3 doesn't look as if it 'took' - in my own attempts at converting PS, it typically grows out very rapidly if the conversion doesn't take - that's what appears to be happening in your photo of #3. I believe I mentioned in an earlier comment that 2(out of 20)of my PS conversion attempts last winter appeared to take - the foliage of both looked like a small brussel sprout for over 3 weeks, the foliage was stiff and I had to cut the center of each open to allow new foliage to grow. I have 6 more plants of PS in the greenhouse right now that are getting large enough for me to begin cutting back on their water, removing the potting soil to expose the crowns and getting them ready to try to convert. I'l let you know how things go.

    Good Luck with your plants,

    Mike Derrow/Adena Daylilies

  5. Oh Mike, good luck! We must get PINK STRIPES converted. Thanks for the update on your conversion work.