Hello Daylily Friends,
I have almost finished planting all of my seeds for this year. Accounting to my math, I have planted 3,278 seeds, and I still have room to plant about 250 more. I have tried very hard to get them all planted such that they will all sprout by at least the first of September. Some of the seeds that are yet to be planted, will probably be grown in the Greenhouse over the winter, and then be planted outside next spring. Of course, within about five weeks, I will have to take most all of the seeds from the Greenhouse, and plant them outside, and then wait and see if they will survive the coming winter.
I have also been working on preparing new beds so that I will have a place to plant the new seeds. This is arduous work, and I have had some assistance, but the work is still difficult. I am showing several beds that are finished, plus one bed that is "under construction." I have moved all of the plants that I wanted to keep from the row where I am standing in the picture, but I "missed" one plant. It wouldn't be so bad, but my mind was elsewhere, and I just skipped an incredible seedling. Well, I separated the marker from the seedling, and I also went past a "blue flag." When my mind is "cluttered" with stuff other than my work, I usually make mistakes. This, however, was a big mistake. Seedling 3-350 is just gone, and in the words of the old country song, "Crying won't bring it back."
Fortunately, I do have another seedling that has shown considerable promise. It is Seedling 3-413, and the measurements on it are very good. Plus, like Seedling 3-350, it has very nice "teeth" on its sepals. Plus, it is pod and pollen fertile. It was made from two of my seedlings that had outstanding teeth, Seedlings 11-279 and 11-273, but there was no lateral branch on either plant. So, I crossed the two plants together, and had one seedling to bloom in the Greenhouse. It was so nice, even without a lateral branch, that I planted it outside. Then, early this summer, I noticed that there were four (4) branches, and 22 buds, and I took a picture of a bloom. The height of the scape has been between 27 and 30 inches. I mention 3-413, both to console myself, and because it was blooming this morning, on its third scape, with three flowers. I'm showing a picture of the branching on the scape that was taken right about lunch time.
I'm still sad, however, about the loss of Seedling 3-350.
I have to mention our grand daughter, Little Lily Rae. Diana grew quite a few "carrots" in her garden, and she decided to pick four or five to cook for our evening meal. Lily Rae went with Grandma to pick the carrots, and she picked a few completely on her own. I'm showing her holding one that she picked. Also, on Sunday, two weeks ago, all children were invited to bring their "back packs" to Church, and then the Children and their back packs were included in the prayers of the Pastor. Well, Lily Rae brought her back pack. She was so cute with it, and of course I had to get a picture. Lily Rae is such a blessing.
I've also noticed that we are getting close to having 200,000 entries into this blog. We are currently at 199,720. We need only 280 more blog visits to reach 200,000. This will be such a major mile stone. I'm going to keep watching to see if I can identify person number 200,000!
We now have 199,996 visitors to this Blog. We are going to cross 200,000 here very shortly. I wish that I could identify the person who is number 200,000, but I do not know how to do this. Anyway, I'm glad that we have come this far. It has been a fabulous ride.
It has happened. We now have had 200,001 visitors! Thanks to everyone who has been reading and visiting the blog over these past several years. I've enjoyed writing and I'll be writing more very soon.