Monday, September 8, 2014

Seedling 4-600

Hello Daylily Friends,

The end of the summer of 2014 has come.  Yes I know that the official day when fall begins isn't until September 21st, but after Labor Day the weather here is different and fall seems to start.  The days are cooler, some early leaves begin to drop, and the daylilies look worn out.  But over the last several days I have seen something really nice.  Finally, I've created a new white daylily that has real promise.  I took a picture on Friday morning, another on Saturday morning, and yet another on Sunday morning.  I have designated this new daylily as being Seedling Number 4-600.  It is 34" tall, 5-way branching, 21 buds, and has a 6 1/2" flower.  I am so pleased with this new white, but I am reluctant to move it anywhere because I want to see how it performs during the 2015 season.  I want to
know if it is dormant; Tet. ESP which is in the parentage is dormant.  I also want to know if it will repeat its measurements, and I want to know its season of bloom.  I would expect that it will be a late bloom, and I doubt that it is dormant, but I need to know for certain.

I also Just had a red seedling to bloom in a bed that was first planted last fall.  The plant is certainly not mature, but the red color is from two great parents, and I just want to grow it faster and in a better environment.  I can cross it with reds that I already have, and I can capture a new shade of red.  I will plant it outside next year to ultimately determine its measurements.  I am certain that it is not a dormant.  I have just developed a real liking for red daylilies, and I'm going to grow many more.

The seedlings in the Greenhouse are doing well.  I have been surprised that a number of daylilies haven't sprouted, but then, this morning, I saw a sprout from the following cross: (Cheddar Explosion x Cherokee Gold {Reserved Name}).  The cross was planted on August 5 and today is September 8.  That is a long time for a seed to sit before sprouting.  Anyway, things are looking good in the Greenhouse.

Outside I'm finishing the rows where the seedlings will be planted.  Two massive rows are ready in the very back of the garden, there is a ready row in the middle of the garden, and then there are eight other rows that have been made ready.  Three of these eight rows are planted with things that came from across the Garden and from the Greenhouse.  This year I hope to get my seedlings planted outside by the end of September.  We will be busy for at least another month.


Little Lily Rae is visiting this week-end, and we have had such a grand time together.  I wish that I had taken pictures, but for the first time Lily Rae ate muscadines, she ate her Grandmother's Cinnamon Rolls, and she ate a big helping of shrimp.  We also went to "The Home Show" at The Galleria Mall.  Lily Rae liked the water features as you can see from her scrutiny in the first picture.  She also had her picture taken with
Grandmother Diana, and Little Lily struck the "perfect pose."  We also went to see Walter Reeves just before he gave his program on fall gardening.  Walter talked about pruning hedges and trees, dealing with pests, and ants in particular, and how to get your grass ready to survive he winter.  Thanks Walter.  We just had a wonderful time, and later, Lily Rae had a wonderful nap. 

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment