We have a new Customer, Karel Smit, who lives in South Africa. Karel wanted several of our most recent introductions, and after considerable research, both on Karel's part and on our part as well, we made the shipment from our local U.S. Post Office. The shipment was made on November 24, 2015. Karel followed the tracking service from the Post Office, and then the daylilies went to Customs in South Africa. The flowers were there for a few days, then a week, then two weeks. Well I know Karel was most disappointed, and we were also very, very disappointed. Then, finally, the flowers were released from Customs and went through the mail on the way to Karel's home; but then, the package was stopped again. With considerable effort on Karel's part the package finally arrived at his home on Thursday, December 17, 2015. Needless to say, daylilies in a box for 25 days is really, really harsh treatment. Karel put the roots in water, then he potted all the daylilies, and now we're waiting to see if they will recover. We're hoping for a recovery because it would be so wonderful to see our plants growing in South Africa.
You might wonder about the climate in South Africa. Well, although it is winter here in the States, summer is just now beginning in South Africa. It should be a good time for the daylilies to have the opportunity to recover. Karel took the beleaguered daylilies and put them in pots. They will have plenty of water, with good drainage, and I know Karel will let us know which daylilies survived the journey. Everyone here on the blog might remember that last January Diana and I took a trip to South Africa to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary. We had a grand adventure that we will always remember.
Thanks Karel for your Order and welcome to our fellowship where Daylilies are loved!
Well, I went to the Greenhouse a few days ago, and I was aghast at what I saw. I've been trying to convert BURGESS CHERRY FLAME, and I was hopeful that I was making progress. What I saw was a large sprout growing from underneath the plant. I stopped and immediately went to work. I brushed away the soil then took my X-Acto knife and cut away the sprout. I left the plant that I was trying to convert in front of the fan to help heal the place where the sprout was removed. Then I planted the sprout in its own container. I don't know if this will save my work with BURGESS CHERRY FLAME, but since I've done this before with some success, I'm hopeful. BURGESS CHERRY FLAME is a beautiful red flower with a deep red color, a cream colored eye, with a green throat. I'd really like to have this plant converted.
We hurried back from Gainesville to Cobb County to attend our Club's Annual Christmas Dinner which was hosted by our Vice-President, Glenn McKenney. When we walked in the door everyone was seated, enjoying their meal, but they stopped and gave Diana and I a hearty hand clap. We are so blessed by our home Club; indeed, we were so excited that I forgot to take a picture. There were 40 Club members at the Christmas dinner. We are all so much looking forward to a great daylily year in 2016.
On Saturday morning we all got up and went to Church to help put our Poinsettias in place. However, we were a few minutes late, and when we arrived all of the work was finished. So, I took Lily Rae to see the new hand-made rug that has just been put in our Narthex. The rug is just beautiful. It's design is from a Stained Glass Window built around the turn of the century, that was in our former Church, and is now placed in our Family Life Hall. Lily likes the Stained Glass Window, and so I had to show her the new rug. Then we walked into the Sanctuary. I wanted Lily to see the Sanctuary because it is ready for Christmas. Everything is good!
Merry Christmas to everyone! More news soon.