I was delighted to meet Zack Hinkey and Curtis Noel who are very much interested in converting daylilies from diploids to tetraploids. They are having success! They have been reading my blog and they told me that the Blog had been most helpful in understanding the steps to take to achieve a conversion. Then, shortly thereafter, I met Cameron Stern from Vermont. Cameron will soon graduate from Cornell University, and Cameron is also very much interested in the conversion process. Indeed, Cameron has also been following my Blog and has a number of conversions to his credit. Sometimes I write about the conversion process, and it is good to meet daylily friends who follow the Blog and are having success.
I also met Adele Keohan who is the Editor of "Daylilies in the Great Northeast." Adele game me a copy of the Journal and I read quite bit and then I noticed that a good part of the Journal is written in French. I tried to learn French in High School, but I wasn't very good at learning the language. Then Adele showed me that there was a "translation." section for the selections written in French. Region 4 is so fortunate to have parts of Canada in its Region. A picture of ROSE F. KENNEDY is on the cover page of the Journal, and George Doorakian is very popular in Region 4. There was also considerable coverage in the Journal of my friend Rich Howard from Connecticut.
In the picture I'm showing everyone can also see our friends, Karl and Marlene Harmon from New Hampshire. Karl said that when the Presidential Primary was held in New Hampshire, their phone range "non-stop." Marlene also gave us a disk with pictures from the AHS National Convention which includes pictures from our Garden. Most of all, I will always be grateful to Karl. On the day before the convention began, Karl came to our garden and worked very hard all day long. One request that I made of Karl was that he "dead head" the flowers. I knew that it would take a lot of work but I just couldn't get everything done. Thanks Karl!
We want to again say how glad we are that we were invited by George and Kathy and NEDS to be with you at your meeting. How fortunate we are to have you and NEDS as friends!
Diana and I left early on Sunday morning to get back to Atlanta. Our meeting of the Cobb County Daylily Society is on Sunday afternoon, and Scott Elliott was coming to speak. We got back in plenty of time and I found that one of my conversion efforts has been successful. I converted SOMETHING SPECIAL, which I had thought was a Jack Carpenter introduction. I was surprised to learn that Childs introduced this delightfully pink daylily, and I hope to make new flowers using it as a pollen parent. I'm also showing a picture of some of the pollen. It is good when a conversion effort is successful.
Speaking of the wood chips, I keep these piled behind my Greenhouse, and last week we moved the wood chips into even larger piles. The "Bobcat" was used to move the wood chips, and now we can move around much better. The wood chips are so good because I mix these with our soil, and they make the soil turn into potting soil, that is even better than what can be bought at a gardening store. I'm also going to try an experiment. Remember the new soil I just showed? I am thinking of mixing some of my older wood chips into my new soil. Perhaps I can make even a better soil for the potted plants that I put in the Greenhouse..
I've also got to show pictures of daylilies that are blooming in the Greenhouse. First I want to show Seedling 8-160, which is a cross between Sherry Candy x Tet. Out of the Blue. I've had this seedling for years, but I just never could see how I could put it to good use. Now that I'm working with doubles I'm seeing possibilities. The blue eye should give me some advantages, and the double should also give me some advantages that would otherwise be hard to achieve. I'm also seeing plenty of blooms on Seedling 4-564 which is a cross done using TET. PINK STRIPES. I'm getting plenty of blooms, and I'm collecting the pollen. I'm freezing plenty of pollen so that I will have it to use most of the coming summer. I've also started putting the pollen from 4-564 on my red BLAZING CANNONS.
More news soon.