Friday, May 27, 2016

Just a Wonderful Morning!

Hello Daylily Friends,

I got up this morning, and of course I went walking through the seedling beds, to see what surprises there might be.  I walked just a few minutes, and there it was.  WOW!  A brand new seedling that has TET. SEBASTIAN THE CRAB as the pollen parent.  Quickly I went to get my camera; I took several pictures, and then made the measurements.  The new daylily is now Seedling 6-41, and the parentage is as follows:  (Kirchhoff Seedling x Tet. Sebastian the Crab).  Seedling 6-41 is 31" tall with 3-way top branching.  It has 12 buds, and the flower is 9" in diameter.  I went and took a look at the diploid, SEBASTIAN THE CRAB, and then I also took a picture of the diploid and 6-41 held side by side.  What a sight.  Sometimes I work so hard on the conversions, and I sometimes ask myself if the effort is worth the result.  Today, this morning, the effort is worth the result.  I have two more scapes on Seedling 6-41, and so I will have many flowers to watch.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could cross Seedling 6-41 with my 10" double, OPA KLAUS?

Another new daylily that I have been watching is Seedling 4-579, and here is its parentage: (The Sting! x Bass Gibson).  This is an incredible daylily because of its beauty, and because of its astonishing measurements.  It is 33" tall with 4-way branching.  It has 25 buds, and a flower that is 6 1/2" in diameter.  I have just started trying to use it as a pod parent, and it may be dormant like BASS GIBSON.  Of course I produced THE STING!, and John Rice produced BASS GIBSON back in 2006.  There was such a fury for everyone to own BASS GIBSON.  Now, fortunately, I have its genes in my tooth line, and I'm now hoping to use 4-579 to put teeth on some of my 7" orange seedlings.  Every summer I become so excited when I see something new among my seedlings.

More news soon.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment