Monday, July 27, 2015

Hello Daylily Friends,

I have been working diligently in the garden since late June to get everything ready for next year.  In my post a few weeks ago, specifically, on July 8, 2015, I showed where I had cleared and tilled several rows, and now four long rows are finished.  One long row is completely planted.  Now I've got to become even more diligent to move everything out of the Greenhouse, and get it all planted outside.  Time is of the essence.  I would like to have all seeds planted in the Greenhouse by August 15, 2015.  As I said, time is important.

Meanwhile, in the garden, new seedlings continue to bloom.  I regret to say that I haven't been taking any pictures of these new blooms, but Diana has been doing this task.  One bloom in particular should have had my full attention, but I just kept preparing the new rows for seedlings.  So, Diana did her best and captured a good shot.  The seedling is just a lovely pink color with a darker pink eye, with large teeth everywhere.  I even think the seedling may be a polytepal.

Then, this morning, there was a new blue eyed seedling.  I think that it has one of the better blue eyes that I've seen.  I reached down to touch the substance of the flower, but I broke the pistol.  Although the sun was out, I nevertheless took a picture.

Much later in the morning, near lunch time, I saw a lovely pink bloom with a wonderful edge.  It is a cross between the pollen parent, (HEARTBEAT OF HEAVEN x TET. JAMES MCCASKILL),  and MINNESOTA NICE.  I have seen some nice flowers from this cross, and TET. JAMES MCCASKILL has helped to add an extra touch of beauty.  I wish that I had been more diligent in using my camera early in the morning.

Anyway, flowers never look their best after they've been exposed to 90+ degree sunshine for several hours.

Let me show another blue eyed flower that bloomed earlier this summer, about 7 to 10 days before the National Convention, that I really, really like.  It is Seedling 5-779, and the cross is as follows:  Vivid Butterfly x ((Tet. Lavender Blue Baby x Tet. Crystal Blue Persuasion) x Blue Beat).  Here is the most important point: 5-779 is "dormant."  This dormancy must come from TET. LAVENDER BLUE BABY, which is also a dormant.  The measurements on 5-779 are particularly good.  It is 28" tall with 5-way branching, 18 buds, and a flower that is about 4.5" in diameter.  Another factor is that each scape seems to produce a proliferation.  In fact, I've got 8 proliferations growing in the Greenhouse.  In the spring of 2016 I am going to aggressively use Seedling 5-779.

My cat Sammy, who is about 10 or 11 years old, is not too old to catch a Chipmunk at high noon.  One went whizzing by Sammy while he was resting, but Sammy bolted after him, caught him, and ate him.  Sammy is a good cat.  He  can still move pretty fast.  He can even catch a bird, and he eats those as well.

Precious Lily Rae had a grand time with Mom, Grandmother and Grandfather.  Yesterday Lily tried a "Popsicle," which she truly enjoyed.  I should have taken a picture, but I did get a picture last week when we were both splashing our feet in the Fountain Pool.  It was much fun!

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment